Sandra Lawrence teaches courses in antiracist multicultural education, whiteness and the construction of identity, methods of curriculum design and instruction, and qualitative research methods in personality psychology. Her research interests include: white racial identity development, antiracist professional development of teachers, and social justice education.
Lawrence's writing has been published in Teaching and Teacher Education, the Journal of Teacher Education, Teaching of Psychology,and the Teacher Educator, among other scholarly journals. She has also coauthored an article with former dean of the College at Mount Holyoke and now president of Spelman College Beverly Daniel Tatum for Teachers College Record and chapters in two anthologies, Beyond Heroes and Holidays (NECA, 1998) and Off/White: Readings on Race, Power, and Society (Routledge, 1996).
- Race, Class, Culture and Gender in the Classroom
- Student Teaching in Middle and Secondary Schools
- The Process of Teaching Learning in Secondary and Middle Schools
- Lab in Personality Psychology: Qualitative Methods
- Whiteness, Racism and Inequality in Schools and Society
- Whiteness: The Other Side of Racism.
- Researching Race and Racism in Education
Lawrence, S. M. & Tatum, B. D. (2004). White educators as allies: Moving from awareness to action (revised). In M. Fine, L. Weiss, L. Powell, L. Pruitt and A. Burns (Eds.). Off/White: Readings on power, privilege and resistance, 2nd edition, (pp.362-372). NY: Routledge.
Lawrence, S. M. (1998). Research, writing and racial identity: Cross-disciplinary connections for multicultural education. The Teacher Educator, 34 (1).
Lawrence, S. M. (1998). Unveiling positions of privilege: A hands-on approach to understanding racism. Teaching of Psychology, 25, (3) 198-200.
Lawrence, S. M. (1997). Beyond race awareness: White racial identity and multicultural teaching. The Journal of Teacher Education, 48 (2), 108-117.
Lawrence, S.M. & Pliner, S.M. (2008). Learning about whiteness in a first-year seminar: Challenging self and others. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 19, (2&3), 51-86).
- "Questioning Authority: Lawrence on Making "Dirty Dozen" Office of Communications, January 17, 2007