Transfer & Advance Placement Credit

Credit Limits

No more than 64 credits will be awarded to students for external work, regardless of whether from pre-matriculation study or post-matriculation study abroad, summer study etc.

  • Credit is awarded only when official documentation (official transcript, official test score report) is submitted to the Registrar from the external institution.  Official transcripts not submitted as part of a student's application to Mount Holyoke may be submitted directly to:   Office of the Registrar, Mount Holyoke College, 50 College Street, South Hadley, MA  01075-1498.
  • All students are subject to a maximum of 8 credits for transferred summer work completed post-matriculation. (Students admitted as first-year Spring entrants may earn as many as 8 additional summer school credits, provided the total of these credits and any transferred credits earned elsewhere in the Fall semester before their entrance does not exceed 16.) 
  • Students planning to register for any course work post-matriculation should write to before registering , to provide the title and course number (and URL of course description, if possible) as well as the institution's name and location, to ask the Registrar's staff to confirm, in writing, its potential for transfer.  If the course is confirmed as transferable and they hope to apply the course to satisfy any requirement of a major, minor, certificate or nexus, they should also seek pre-approval of the appropriate MHC department.

Advance Placement Work

A maximum of  32 credits will be granted for all advance placement work.  Advance Placement credit cannot be applied toward college requirements.

  • Advanced Placement program of the College Board - 4 credits will be awarded per exam graded 4 or 5, unless you earn credit for a corresponding course at Mount Holyoke
  • Caribbean Advanced Examinations - 8 credits will be granted per CAPE exam for liberal arts subject units with a score 1, 2, or 3. One non-liberal arts subject may be awarded 4 credits.
  • French Baccalaureate - 4 credits will be granted per eligible exam (score of 10 or higher and coefficient of 4 or higher), up to a maximum of 16 credits total.
  • General Certificate of Education (A-Levels) - A maximum of 32 credits can be granted if a student completes four or more exams with grades of C or better in liberal arts subjects. Credit is not awarded for O-Levels, AS-Levels, nor for the General Paper nor Knowledge & Inquiry nor Project Work.
  • German Abitur -   A maximum of 16 credits for receipt of this degree.
  • International Baccalaureate - Credit may only be granted for higher level exams awarded a grade of 6 or 7.
    • If the points total is below 36 or any grades are below a 6, the College may grant 8 credits per higher level exam graded 6 or 7.
    • If three higher levels and grades in all exams taken (including subsidiary) are 6 or 7 and 36 or more total points are earned, 32 credits may be granted.

Transfer Work

Students should note that transfer credits are generally granted on a semester credit-for-credit basis (that is, a 3-credit course taken on a typical semester schedule will be awarded 3 credits at Mount Holyoke College). Credits earned at schools not on the semester calendar will be converted to semester credits (e.g. a quarter credit will be awarded .66 semester credits at Mount Holyoke College).  Credits earned in courses taught in condensed, intensive or alternative formats often transfer at less than full credit-for-credit value.

Grades for transferred courses will not appear on the Mount Holyoke College transcript, nor will they affect the Mount Holyoke GPA.

Academic credit is generally granted for liberal arts courses completed with grades of C- or better. 

Academic credit is never granted for:

  • Internships
  • Courses with a pass/fail grade
  • Physical education courses
  • Courses taken at U.S. institutions without regional accreditation
  • Courses not granted academic credit by the institution or which do not appear on their official transcript
  • CLEP or placement exams given by other institutions
  • Courses not at college level (such as college skills)
  • Math courses below Calculus 1 (such as pre-calculus, algebra, etc.)
  • Skills, craft or trade courses (such as EMT training, career exploration)

Academic credit is not usually granted for:

  • Independent study coursework
  • Computer science courses without written permission of the Mount Holyoke College computer science department
  • Music courses without written permission of the Mount Holyoke College music department; no credit will be awarded for performance studies, including individual instrument study, choir, orchestra, or other ensemble study

Academic credit for non-liberal arts courses is strictly limited:

  • The course(s) must meet all other transfer eligibility requirements.
  • For students who entered the College on or after September 2008, only one non-liberal arts course is initially transferred but the student may request transfer of additional course work up to a maximum of 12 credits; these students are limited to applying a total of 12 credits combined from Mount Holyoke curricular support courses and from any Mount Holyoke, Five College or transferred non-liberal arts courses to the 128 credit requirement for the degree.
  • For students who entered the College before September 2008, only one no-liberal arts course may be transferred; the student is then ineligible to count further non-liberal arts courses taken while at Mount Holyoke towards the 128 credits required for the degree.

Online courses are eligible to transfer,  as long as they meet all other conditions for transfer and the following eligibility restrictions:

  • Students whose first term at the College was Fall 2013 or later are eligible to transfer online courses taken before or after their matriculation at the College.
  • Students who entered the College before Fall 2013 are eligible to transfer online courses taken post-matriculation, but not any pre-matriculation coursework.

Once posted, transfer course work will not be removed from the student's academic record.