For information about the American Opportunity Tax Credit, the Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits, the Tuition and Fees Deduction and more tax benefits for education, please review the information on the IRS website.

Please direct any questions related to your eligibility for tax benefits to your tax advisor or the Internal Revenue Service as Mount Holyoke College is not in a position to give tax advice or tax preparation assistance.

Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (TRA 97) Form 1098-T

Overview of 1098T and common questions

The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (TRA 97) provided new tax benefits for taxpayers who are paying for certain post-secondary educational expenses. As part of the TRA 97 legislation, eligible educational institutions were required to submit certain information about their students on a Form 1098-T. Beginning in tax year 2003, these institutions were also required to report amounts pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, as well as scholarships and/or grants. Schools choose to use either Box 1 (Payments Received) or Box 2 (Amounts Billed). MHC uses Box 1. Mount Holyoke College has contracted with Educational Computer Systems, Inc. (ECSI) to complete the processing of Form 1098-T forms.

Forms will be mailed to students no later than January 31 using the address that has been provided to Mount Holyoke College. Students who have opted for electronic delivery will have access to the forms online before January 31.

Accessing your 1098-T online

TouchNet. Students and authorized users can now access the 1098-T form on line in the TouchNet system.  Students log in through my.mtholyoke and can allow access for any Authorized Users by setting them up in the TouchNet system.

ECSI. You can access the 1098T form online through ECSI, choose the box for "Access Your 1098 Tax Documents". Use the first link to look up your 1098T tax form. Search for Mount Holyoke College in the School Name field and submit. You will need to enter the student’s first and last name, Social Security Number, and zip code. If you have never logged in to ECSI or if you have forgotten your password and need assistance, you can call them at 866.428.1098.

I'm an international student and didn't receive a 1098-T form. Why?

Institutions are not required to issue a 1098-T form to international students unless a student specifically requests one. If you would like to request a form, you can email TJ Griffis or call 413-538-2291.

I'm a U.S. citizen and didn't receive a 1098-T form. Why?

We issue a 1098-T form to all students who have made a payment toward tuition and/or tuition related charges. If you did not receive a 1098-T form and believe that you should have, please email TJ Griffis or call 413-538-2291.

Contact Us

The Office of Student Financial Services administers financial aid and student billing.