To take the Spanish placement test, go to the Mount Holyoke College Placement Exam:
- This site is accessed through the Internet, not the MHC Web site.
- Students who require disability accommodations for placement exams must register with Mount Holyoke Access Ability Services. For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-538-2634.
- You will be prompted to type in a password
Password: marylyon (lower case).
- When asked during testing for your email address USE your MHC account. This allows you to register in MyMountHolyoke for the level of Spanish Class you tested into.
- Besides taking the placement test and questionnaire, the second day of classes students will take a brief, comprehensive in-class test that the instructor will use to make a final recommendation on the appropriate level at which a student should be placed. No grade will be assigned to this test.
- The placement test must be taken within two months prior to registration.
- Students are strongly encouraged to take their language courses in close succession, without lapses between one level and the next.
200 and below = Spanish 101
between 201 and 400 = Spanish 199
between 401 and 600 = Spanish 201
625 and above = Spanish 209, 210 or 212 (212 can only be taken if you have already taken courses equivalent to 209 or 210)
Exemption for Spanish Placement
Only students with both native or near-native fluency and formal training in courses equivalent to our advanced courses can be exempted from the language requirement. High placement scores without formal training in Spanish do not warrant exemption. Note: International students are not automatically exempt from the language requirement. Students may contact Leah Glasser (email@example.com) with questions on qualifying for exemption. Students are recommended to take Spanish 209 (composition) or 210 (conversation), or 212 (introduction to critical analysis) if they have already taken courses equivalent to 209 or 210.