Mount Holyoke grants

Need-based College grants are awarded to both U.S. and international students based on demonstrated financial aid eligibility as determined by the College. Need-based grants are made possible through the generosity of Mount Holyoke alums, trustees and friends who create endowed scholarship funds to support student financial aid packages. Grants funded by the College include the Mary Lyon Grant, Mount Holyoke Grant and the Health Insurance Grant.

International students should note that, according to U.S. tax regulations, any portion of a grant that covers all or part of residence hall and meal costs may be taxable, subject to tax withholding and charged to the student’s Mount Holyoke College bill. For more information on taxable scholarships, visit the Internal Revenue Service website.

Federal and state grants for U.S. students

Grants do not have to be repaid and can come from the federal government or may be state-funded.

Remember to pay close attention to deadlines! If you miss a deadline or don’t complete the required paperwork to determine eligibility for federal or state grants, you could miss out on funding to help pay your college costs.

Note: If you receive a federal or state grant that was not included in your original financial aid package, your Mount Holyoke grant will be reduced by the amount of the federal, state or provincial funding. This additional grant does not reduce the family contribution.

Students with high demonstrated financial need, as determined by federal guidelines, are eligible for the Pell Grant.

SEOG grants range from $500 to $1,500 and are included in financial aid packages for students who have high demonstrated financial need, as determined by the College, and who are also eligible for the Pell Grant.

Many states offer scholarship and grant programs for students who are residents of those states. Eligibility is usually restricted to state residents attending a college in-state, but that's not always the case, so it’s worth looking into.

Contact us

The Office of Student Financial Services administers financial aid and student billing.