Appeals and Grievances

Accommodations Appeal Process

If Disability Services denies your accommodation request, you can informally appeal the decision to the college’s Section 504 Coordinator. The Section 504 Coordinator will review, and possibly overturn, the accommodation coordinator’s decision.

The appeal process begins with an email to We encourage you to file an appeal regarding the denial of a requested accommodation as soon as possible after you has been notified in writing (including email notification) of the decision to deny the accommodation.

Alternatively, you also have the option to submit additional supporting documentation to Disability Services and have an accommodation coordinator reconsider the accommodation request based on this new information.

Please note Mount Holyoke College has the right to deny a request for an accommodation if you fail to provide the required documentation, the provided documentation does not support the requested accommodation, you fail to make the request in a reasonable time period, the request poses a health or safety risk, or the requested accommodation imposes an undue burden or fundamental alteration to a program, service, or activity.  

Grievance Procedure

The College's grievance procedure is the vehicle by which you can bring forward concerns regarding the process for obtaining or receiving accommodations, formally appeal the denial of a requested accommodation, or bring a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability. Contact the Section 504 Coordinator if you are interested in using the campus grievance procedure for a disability-based complaint.

Section 504 Coordinator

If you are experiencing a barrier on campus, whether it be a physical, electronic, or programmatic barrier, you should fill out the Access Barrier Form which will alert the Section 504 Coordinator to the issue. Additionally, anyone with questions or concerns about campus access is welcome to contact the Section 504 Coordinator.

Contact Us

Disability Services is the only designated office at the College for students to voluntarily disclose a disability, submit appropriate documentation for verification and request accommodations.