Public Safety and Service Inquiries, Complaints and Commendations

We welcome your feedback. We accept inquiries or complaints as well as commendations about the department or its employees by letter, telephone or in person.

Inquiries and complaints

Who may file an inquiry or complaint?

Anyone who was a witness to, or a victim of what they feel was a wrongdoing by any member of Public Safety and Service or who has concerns with department practices may file an inquiry or complaint. We encourage open dialogue and involvement to help maintain the high standards of quality that the department demands and the community deserves.

While this Department will investigate all inquiries and complaints, even if submitted anonymously, a concern or complaint can be investigated more completely if the you provide some contact information to allow for more thorough gathering of data regarding an incident in question.

How to file an inquiry or complaint

Any supervisor may accept an initial inquiry or complaint against employees, procedure or policies. If your inquiry or complaint is against a Public Safety and Service department employee, we recommend that you contact that employee's supervisor. If the supervisor is not available, you may contact the Officer in Charge. The supervisor will ensure that your inquiry or complaint is directed.

If the inquiry or complaint appears to be based on a misunderstanding or a lack of knowledge of acceptable or desired conduct, procedures or practices, the Public Safety and Service Department may offer an explanation. If you are not satisfied with their explanation, you may insist on speaking with the officer's supervisor.

Please provide the date, time and location of the event; the name(s) of the officer(s) involved (if known) and the name, address and telephone number of any possible witnesses.

Your inquiry or complaint can be done by email, by phone, or for more efficient service, you may use our Citizen Inquiry or Complaint Form.

Please mail or email to:

Director of Public Safety and Service
50 College Street
South Hadley MA 01075
(413) 538-2304

You may also contact the Dean of Students office.