Waiving the MHC Student Health Insurance Plan
All eligible students are automatically enrolled in the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan and will remain enrolled unless a waiver request is completed and approved. State law requires that this waiver be filed annually with the College. Waiving the Mount Holyoke College Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan also waives pre-payment for services at the Mount Holyoke College Health Center, which may be purchased separately (see below).
- For students enrolled for the full academic year or for fall semester only, the Online Waiver begins June 16, 2014 and ends September 10, 2014.
- For students enrolled for spring semester only, the Online Waiver process begins December 5, 2014 and ends January 15, 2015.
(Note: A balance due based on the health insurance charge may be subject to late fees if the waiver is completed during the waiver time frame but after the tuition payment is due: July 31, 2014 for fall semester and January 5, 2015, for spring semester.)
Submitting the Online Waiver is the only accepted method to waive coverage for the 2014-2015 policy year.
- In order for a waiver request to be approved, students must be enrolled in a plan that meets the definition of comparable coverage.
- For coverage to be considered comparable it must be U.S. based and provide reasonably comprehensive coverage of health services, including preventive and primary care, emergency services, surgical services hospitalization benefit, ambulatory patient services, and mental health services; and be reasonably accessible to the student in the South Hadley area.
- Students currently covered under non Massachusetts state plans may not waive the College’s health insurance.
- If you are a Massachusetts resident you can waive your Student Health Insurance Plan with a plan purchased through the MA Health Connector.
- If you are a Massachusetts Medicaid recipient you can waive the Student Health Insurance Plan with most Medicaid plans. However, MassHealth Limited, the Children's Medical Security Program, ant the Health Safety Net may not be used to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Carefully consider the out-of-pocket expense your current policy would require if your daughter needs health care in the Mount Holyoke area before waiving coverage. Also consider the availability of services if you are in a managed care program. Prescription drugs, outpatient diagnostic treatment and consultation, mental health counseling and laboratory testing are frequently used benefits.
- Log onto www.gallagherstudent.com/MountHolyoke
- Select the Blue “I Want to Waive/Enroll” button. When waiving the insurance, have your current health insurance ID card ready as you will need this information in order to complete the waiver form.
- Your username will be your Mount Holyoke College Email address. Your password will be your CID number. If your CID number is less than nine digits, add zero's to the left. Example (123456 becomes 000123456).
- Once the waiver is completed, a confirmation email will be sent acknowledging the request for waiver, a second email will be sent when the waiver request is approved or denied.
- Both the confirmation email and the approval/denial email will be sent to the student’s Mount Holyoke email address.
- If you are a parent filing the waiver, and your daughter is unable to provide you with the email information, please contact Student Financial Services to inquire about approval status.
- If your waiver is denied, the denial email will include the reasons for denial and any appropriate measures that can be taken if you wish to re-file the waiver.
- If your waiver request is approved the appropriate charge for the coverage will be removed from your student account.
- If you waive the Mount Holyoke College Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan, you may not re-enroll unless your insurance has been terminated. In order to request enrollment, a Petition to Add Form must be completed and submitted to Gallagher Koster Insurance Agency. If your Petition is approved, you will be responsible for the full cost of coverage (annual or Spring semester), as applicable.
- If you are starting in the spring semester, you will automatically be enrolled in the Mount Holyoke College Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan for the spring semester.
- Coverage dates: January 15, 2015-August 14, 2015
- To waive coverage for the spring semester, you must complete the Online Waiver by January 15, 2015.