Mathematics and Statistics
The program in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics is designed with several goals in mind:
- to teach the language of the mathematical sciences
- to provide a command of powerful mathematical tools
- to develop problem-solving skills
- to foster an ability to ask questions and to make independent discoveries
- to encourage the experience of mathematics as a distinctively rigorous way of knowing
In addition, especially through the statistics offering, the rich interplay between an applied context and mathematical models in working with numerical data is an area of particular emphasis.